Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Some of my first mosaics









These are some of the first mosaics I completed in 2007. I took a class at MECCA in Eugene and made all but the one on the far left in my class. Since then I've done a fairly large faux stained glass, a jewelry box, picture frames, and more. I like to think I've been improving my skills. At least I take more time to get things right now. Mosaics is a very time consuming process--from planning a design to gathering materials, and then cutting glass and adhering the tiles/glass and grouting.
I like mosaics for many reasons: they look great outside with the sun reflecting on them -- or in windows (like stained glass); there are so many things you can mosiac; you don't have to be good at drawing (I'm not!); I can get a lot of materials cheaply at MECCA and Art of Glass ((buying their scraps); and my kiddo likes to do them too so it's a mom/daughter thing we can do together.
Sorry about the poor quality photos.


1 comment:

brooke said...

My favorite is the glass frame one. I loved doing mosaics a few years ago... I'm glad to know where I can get supplies :-)